Read this if you don’t know Linux
If you want to learn building websites, the last thing you want is to
- learn Linux, access control, processes,
- learn SQL and databases,
- learn Apache,
- learn Wordpress,
- learn problems of a concurrent environment - whatever it is,
- host your website,
- do system administration,
- do backups.
Boomla is a simple platform for websites.
- In Boomla, everything is a file, there is no database.
- There are no processes, just files.
- Don’t learn Linux users and access control.
- Forget Apache, there is a built in webserver that just works.
- No complex Wordpress, start from empty text files.
- Your entire website is fully version controlled.
- Enjoy undo/redo.
- Clone your website in an instant to try things on subdomains.
- We handle hosting for you - if you want.
- Publish your website with a click of a button (push to our servers). It will just work.
- You can run Boomla locally too, nothing to install, just download and run.
Read this if you are an experienced developer
Problems with Linux
- The Linux filesystem is slow, not concurrency safe, not transactional, doesn’t support
storing and searching structured data. Databases are used instead.
- Linux provides users, access control and sessions, but we have different requirements for
websites so custom solutions are used at a higher level.
- Linux manages processes, provides isolated execution environments. The solution is
really slow and processes are hard anyway. Websites require a fast, request-response like solution.
Currently, website level apps are plain function calls. Isolation was traded for speed.
- Linux provides a graphical user interface yet websites run in the browser.
- Websites usually have external dependencies, deploying a website to a server may be quite an effort.
Think PHP extensions, Apache modules, lots of sysadmin work.
- Linux is almost only used to abstract away the hardware. The application platform is Wordpress
or whatever have you. Too bad it is not a platform.
- There is no database, just a filesystem designed for websites.
- The Boomla Filesystem is:
- Fully transactional.
- Concurrency safe.
- Version controlled.
- Branches are accessible on subdomains, like beta.example.com. All branches are live at the same time.
- You have undo/redo for you entire website. <3
- Fast, indexed in memory like a database.
- Each website is a separate filesystem.
- Everything is a file.
- Instead of fields in a database, you have file attributes.
- Files are accessible to non-techies, database rows are not.
- Files are portable, database rows are not.
- Anything you can do with a DB, you can do with a supercharged Filesystem. And more.
- Boomla is fully transactional, there are no processes, Boomla is built on a request-response model like PHP.
- Applications run in fast isolated execution environments. Having a broken voting app will not break the rest of your site. It’s also debugging friendly.
- All dependencies are part of your website’s filesystem. There is no sysadmin work.
- You can download Boomla as a single binary, it has no external dependencies. Just download and run.
- Boomla is portable. Run it from a pendrive.
- Boomla runs on the 3 major platforms: Windows, Linux, Mac OS X.
- Develop locally, it works out of the box.
- You can host your website on our servers - or on your own too.
- Deployments are simple, just push your website into production. Due to no external dependencies, it is guaranteed to work.
- No webserver configuration, Boomla comes with a built-in webserver that just works.